A few folks have asked us to post the more complex recipes used in our show to the BBO Blog. Since we aim to please, here is the first of (hopefully) many recipes we have tried and deemed “BBO Approved”!
Below is the recipe we used in S3 E2 for Venison Bourguignon:
3 T Olive Oil
8 oz Chopped Bacon
3 lbs Venison (cubed)
2 lbs Carrots (chunked)
2 Onions (rough chopped)
6 Garlic Cloves
1 lb Crimini Mushrooms (sliced)
1/2 cup Blackberry Brandy
1 bottle Merlot
2 cups Beef Stock
2 T Tomato Paste
1 Bouquet Garni (Rosemary, Sage and Bay Leaves)
4 T Butter
1/2 cup Flour
Salt & Pepper
3 lbs Small Yukon Gold Potatoes
- Saute bacon until crisp. Remove bacon, leaving drippings in the pot.
- Using the same pot, lightly salt and pepper the venison then brown the meat on all sides. Remove and leave drippings in the pot.
- Add onions, carrots and garlic to the pot. Cook until the onions are soft (normally about 5 to 7 minutes). Once the onions are soft, add the Crimini mushrooms and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked, add the tomato paste, blackberry brandy, merlot and beef stock and bring to a boil. When the stock is well blended, add salt & pepper to taste and insert the Bouquet Garni. Lower the temperature and simmer for 3 hours.
- To make the potatoes, lay them out on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and lightly salt. Roast for 30 to 45 minutes (depending on size) turning over once half way through cooking.
- To thicken the sauce, make a roux by combining 4 T butter with 1/2 cup flour and mash into a paste. Slowly add the roux to the sauce when the venison is tender.
- To serve, ladle the Venison Bourguignon over whole potatoes and enjoy!